Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Brand New Tooth

My baby grew a tooth.  It is so small, but it's there.  I discovered it during lunch.  I tried to get a picture of it, but my little guy kept it hidden the rest of the day.  I had to double check to make sure it was really there by running my finger along the bottom of his mouth.

Over the weekend my little guy had very rosy cheeks.  I wasn't sure why.  I wondered if maybe he was allergic to something, but I couldn't think of anything new he had been exposed to.  I ultimately asked internet about it, and one explanation was that a tooth might be on it's way.  I hoped that was the reason for the rosy cheeks.  Well, the rosiness subsided, and a tooth appeared.

Who knew I could get so excited about a tooth.  And this is just the first of many to come. 


A few weeks ago my baby was fussy and having a hard time settling down for the night.  After trying every tactic to get him to sleep: taking him on a walk, trying to feed him without success, changing him, holding him, and playing music for him, we wondered if he was experiencing some teething pain.  Thankfully I had orajel on hand, so while my husband tried to console my little guy I quickly read the instructions on the package and opened the tube of pain reliever.  I rubbed a bit on his swollen gums, gave him his pacifier, and held my breath.  Would this do the trick?  My little guy settled down for a minute, but still acted a little fussy.  I decided to offer him the bottle one more time.  He took a few more sips, and then fell asleep.   I think the orajel helped him.

    I was so happy I had my Orajel on hand that night.  The night would’ve been much rougher and stressful if I had to run to the store and frantically scour the shelves looking haphazardly for something to relieve my baby's teething pain. 
  
     I love seeing my little guy smile.  He has the cutest smile I have ever seen.  His smile makes me smile.  Some of the things that make him smile are: people, tickles, funny noises, funny faces, looking at himself in the mirror, and playing in his exersaucer. I don’t dread my baby’s teeth coming in knowing I have the ability to relieve his pain. 
I try to imagine how my little guy will look when all of a sudden he smiles and I see a tooth in the middle of his mouth.  It will be so fun to see.  I can’t wait to take a picture of him with his toothy grin.  I bet he will love looking at his new tooth in the mirror too.  It is so much fun to see my baby growing and changing, and the arrival of his first tooth will be quite a milestone. 

1 comment: