Thursday, October 28, 2010

Facebook : Baby Loss Month post

I woke up at 3 am to feed my little guy and couldn't go back to sleep.  Around 5:30 I got tired of lying in bed and started putzing around the house. I messed around on the computer, fed the little guy (I think from here on out I will refer to him as LG), read, and then reflected on an idea that had been vaguely mulling around in my head.  And the following is the result.  I decided to write a little something on FB about infertility and baby loss.  I lumped infertility into it because, as infertiles, even though we have not physically lost a baby, we deal with the unrealistic, but yes, lost dream of having children at the drop of a hat.  I came out on FB, because, frankly, now it was easy.  It is now clearly evident, I think, that we had infertility issues and were blessed with a baby through the miracle of adoption.  We naturally keep the pain and diagnosis of infertility hidden, especially on FB, for various reasons which I won't go into at this time, but now, that my infertility is no longer hidden, I felt strongly about writing something about it, especially on FB.

So here is what I wrote and posted:


I don’t usually post things like this here, but I just wanted to, so I am.  It has been an exciting, crazy, busy, fun month, as many of you know.   But, as an infertile I would feel remised if I did not post something here on FB about October being Baby Loss Awareness month.  It is a month to remember all types of pregnancy loss and infant death including miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS, etc.  So while you would have to live in a cave without any other human contact to not know that it was Breast Cancer Awareness month, (not knocking Breast Cancer Month), but you may not have known that is also Baby Loss Awareness Month.  And I am sure it is many other things month: like nephew appreciation month, Hispanic heritage month, etc.  I will let someone else speak about those causes.  The reason I am putting this on FB is because FB can be a cruel reminder to infertile people or those coping with infant loss of just how much we are missing out on.  Many infertile people comes to hate FB, because as I remember one fellow infertile said something to the effect of, “FB is like opening a Christmas card about someone else’s amazing life, only you have to do it 365 times a year”.  Not to make any of you feel bad, that’s just the reality of it.  So, for those who are infertile, I know your pain and I hope it will be relieved soon. 
So, I just wanted to tell all of those that have experienced an infant loss that I am heartbroken for you and your loss and I hope you can find peace and comfort in some way and in some time.  For those who have not experienced the pain of infertility or infant loss and sometimes wonder what you could say or do; well since I don’t have space to write a novel here, I would merely say, be sensitive, be compassionate, be understanding, and reach out and let them know you care.  

That’s all.  Thanks for reading.  

10 comments:

  1. Very Powerful! Thanks for posting that to your fb and increasing awareness among people who may be less aware.
    Yes, I would think that talking about IF is easier with a babe in your arms, but I often wish I could do it without such a "resolution". Our culture says that happy is good, and not happy is not good. As a result, people don't know what to do with pain. I think that's why I hold back from talking about it. I've sometimes had pretty lame responses, and want to protect myself from that.

    Anyway, I admire you for making that FB posting. I'll be interested to read about what kind of responses you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! The Christmas card/facebook analogy is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Augusta. It is much easier to do with a baby in my arms. And yes, people don't know how to deal with pain, and do say some pretty stupid stuff, and so that is also why I probably never would've written anything on FB prior to this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really a wonderful post. I'm so glad you put that up there. I did something on my page for October 16th but I didn't get many comments. Even if people don't say much about it, at least you know they probably heard you and maybe, just maybe, it made them think, if only for a moment. I think it is important that those of us in the IF/baby loss community stand up for ourselves and our brethren when we can. I know not everyone has the strength, and that is fine, but for those of us who do, it's important that we make our cause known. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully said! Since our adoption, many people believe that [adopting] cured our infertility. When I've made the statement that yes, adopting filled my empty arms and my empty heart AND I love my son more than the air I breathe, adopting did not fill my empty womb. So many don't understand that and I have been slammed for saying it (on blogs, never in front of my son). I will forever grieve (in my own silent way) never being able to feel life growing inside my body.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing it with us and your fb community!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely think that sometimes, us infertiles not saying anything, isn't helping the situation. I mean, it is so hard to tell people about stuff like this because it is like telling everyone, "Hey! My body is broken!" But I want to make it my mission to educate people on proper manners around infertiles. Like not pulling out the whole, "There will be other babies" line when they don't know what to say.

    You are still totally brave for coming out and saying something to your friends on FB....even if you do have a baby now. Infertility is still a part of your life and so with or without a baby, you have a right to champion this cause!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! Just because u get a baby, the pain of loss/infertility does not just magically disappear overnight. Dear families: Please acknowledge our broken hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i wish more people would talk more openly about this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny I don't think I realized how much people kept their infertility a secret until I came online and started blogging about it and using twitter. I've always told people openly. Looking back I wonder how many people thought "TMI, Lisa, TMI." haha.

    I am a big believer in talking about it and I have felt embarrassed and ashamed of many things, but infertility isn't one of them.

    I'm glad you posted. The more people that talk, the better off we all will be. What you said was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete