Monday, July 19, 2010

Continue in Patience

On Sunday I read a great talk titled: Continue in Patience by President Uchtdorf, (a leader from my church), and I wanted to share a few quotes from it.

patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!”

“The children of Israel waited 40 years in the wilderness before they could enter the promised land. Jacob waited 7 long years for Rachel…In each case, Heavenly Father had a purpose in requiring that His children wait.”

“Every one of us is called to wait in our own way. We wait for answers to prayers. We wait for things which at the time may appear so right and so good to us that we can’t possibly imagine why Heavenly Father would delay the answer… the promises of the Lord, if perhaps not always swift, are always certain.”

“Often the deep valleys of our present will be understood only by looking back on them from the mountains of our future experience. Often we can’t see the Lord’s hand in our lives until long after trials have passed. Often the most difficult times of our lives are essential building blocks that form the foundation of our character and pave the way to future opportunity, understanding, and happiness.”

“the work of patience boils down to this: keep the commandments; trust in God, our Heavenly Father; serve Him with meekness and Christlike love; exercise faith and hope in the Savior; and never give up. The lessons we learn from patience will cultivate our character, lift our lives, and heighten our happiness.”

This talk helped me refocus myself and try to continue in patience.  I thought about some of the lessons I have learned as I have tried to patiently wait for children.  Here is a short list of some of those things.  
  • can do hard things.
  • I have become more empathetic to people and their suffering.
  •  I have become more tolerant and kind as I have been reminded that everyone is fighting a hard batte, and we don’t know everything they are going though.
  • Don’t give up.
  •  When I serve and think about others, I don’t focus on my difficulties.
  • Children are amazing and when they come into my family I will cherish them.
  • Trust in God, don’t give up on Him.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this... I really needed it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Joyce Meyer says: Patience is not the act of waiting, its how you behave during the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I recently thought about the things that I've learned during our journey to grow our family and 'I can do hard things' is at the top of my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post...I agree with all of your short list & really needed the reminder to have patience today (not an easy task at times, especially in regards to infertility)!

    ReplyDelete