Saturday, April 24, 2010

Goose Egg for Infertility Awareness Week

My hubby and I went to a wedding for some people he knows from his work.  So we were chatting w/ a bunch of his coworkers or buddies that he hadn't seen in awhile.  One of his friends asked if we had any kids, and my husband, said, we had a goose egg--meaning zero.  It was pretty funny.

I was reminded when I was browsing some blogs that this week is Infertility Awareness Week.  As I have been thinking about it, I have realized that the disease of infertility has affected my life.  I try not to let it define it, but it is a part of who I am.  Infertility affects your emotions, your relationships, your body, your life plans in a way that nothing else can.

When I first realized I was infertile and this family building thing was not as simple as I thought it would be, I hoped to hurry and do my "infertile time" and then have it behind me.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.  But in some ways, I think it was good that I couldn't rush through it.  If I had I might not have fully realized how difficult infertility can be on people.  I am also much more aware of what a blessing it is to have children.  I have also been reminded of the fact that life is not just supposed to be all "rainbows and ponies", but that we will all go through tough times and we just need to help each other get through them.  I hope that at some point the general public will better understand how difficult infertility can be for those of us that go through it and end up stuck holding a goose egg.

4 comments:

  1. So true, if only the general public knew the pain of infertility, it would make so many situations a bit easier & I'm sure infertile couples would get a lot less advice and annoying questions...if only!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, did you go to a wedding today?? After just having gotten back from Australia? wow!

    Seriously, thank you for sharing these thoughts. I have found myself recently thinking very similar thoughts - that I can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years and that if it had 'only' been 1 year or whatever, would I remember the pain well enough to take this with me in life. Not that I wish this on anyone but I think most of us can say we are much more empathetic, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often feel that if I hadn't experienced IF, I would know so little about myself. Not that I am happy to be going through IF. It's just I had to get to know more about myself to keep my head on straight!

    ICLW
    http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from ICLW. Thank you for your post - I agree with it completely. Also I love in your about me where you wrote I don't ovulate - but really who does these days? Cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete