Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Kindness

Sometimes you never know what a kind act will do.

I felt like I should call a random person (a couple that recently moved to the area) this evening to make sure they knew about some crazy winter weather heading our way. The thought just popped into my head to do it, but my brain kept trying to kick it out, but the thought kept coming back. So then, I started to worry that I would feel really bad is something happened to them with the weather and I hadn't checked in on them. And then my brain started to try to tell me that now I was being completely ridiculous b/c not only did I not really know the people I was thinking of calling, but obviously, they were smart people and would be fine, and didn't reallly need my help.

So then I didn't know what to do.

So I decided to just call them, and if they thought I was stupid, then fine, that's okay, I didn't really know them anyway.

So, I called, and left a msg, sent and email, and that was that. Maybe they'll think I'm odd, but if they do, they won't be the first and certainly not the last that think that of me.

At any rate, as soon as I hung up the phone and sent the email I felt so happy and was glad I had reached out and showed concern for them.

As I reflected on this experience I realized that even if they didn't need anyone to reach out, just the fact that I did, affected me and helped me feel good about myself and helped me feel happy. Which was good, b/c as I was driving home from work today I was trying to think of what I had done today that helped me feel joy, and now I had done something.

No comments:

Post a Comment